History

History

THE PROPELLER CLUB OF THE UNITED STATES HISTORY

The Propeller Club was conceived in 1922 and the Propeller Club, Port of New York, was organized on January 24, 1923. On November 7, 1927, the Propeller Club of the United States as a national and international organization was formed, with individual member clubs designated as “Ports.”

The Propeller Club, Port of San Diego, was chartered September 30, 1944 as Port No. 95.

The membership comprises a cross section of the maritime industry throughout the United States and in many cities overseas. The Propeller Club is particularly well equipped to promote, further and support the merchant marine. “Propeller” in the name refers to the propulsion of ships and is symbolic of the driving force required for Americans to appreciate the need for an adequate, privately-owned merchant marine for both overseas and domestic commerce.

Today, the Propeller Club is the largest and the only grass roots maritime association in the United States.

The “American Merchant Marine” as interpreted by the Propeller Club includes all American flag commercial craft – on the oceans in both foreign and coastwise service, the Great Lakes and our Inland waterways.